At NerdWallet, we strive to help you make financial decisions with confidence. To do this, many or all of the products featured here are from our partners. However, this doesn’t influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
Technology makes it almost too easy to sign up for subscription services. With features like auto-renew and stored credit card information, it often takes just a few clicks or taps to get your video streaming or beauty box fix.
But when it comes to canceling subscriptions› you may have forgotten about or no longer need — or ending a free trial before the charges kick in — things can get a little messier. If the service is linked to your Apple account, you might be able to reduce some of the friction. Here’s how to cancel subscriptions on your iPhone and other Apple products.
Which subscriptions can you cancel?
So what kinds of subscriptions can you cancel directly through your iOS device? Only those that you’ve set up through the App Store and are connected to your Apple ID account. But they aren’t limited to Apple’s own services like Apple Music. Your subscription list could also include online newspaper memberships, other streaming services and more, such as The Wall Street Journal, Hulu and Spotify.
How to cancel subscriptions on your iPhone or iPad
To unsubscribe on your mobile device, follow these steps:
- Open up the App Store.
- Tap your profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap on “Manage Subscriptions.” This should take you to a list of your subscriptions.
- Tap on the subscription you want to cancel. Then, select “Cancel Subscription” or “Cancel Free Time rial” — the wording may vary depending on the membership — and confirm.
How to cancel subscriptions on your Mac
If you’re using a desktop or laptop, the cancellation process will look slightly different. Here’s what to do:
- Open the App Store app. You can locate this in your Finder under the “Applications” section.
- Click on “Store” on the menu bar at the top of your screen. Make sure you’re signed in. Then, select “View My Account” from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll down the account information page until you see the “Manage” section. Click “Manage” next to “Subscriptions.”
- Click the “Cancel Subscription” or “Cancel Free Trial” button under the subscription you no longer want. Then, confirm.
How to cancel other subscriptions
So what about those subscriptions that aren’t tied to your Apple account? Well, it depends. Some companies make it tougher to cancel than others. It might not be as simple as pressing a button — you may have to exchange emails or call a customer service number and speak to a representative.
If you don’t have the time or patience, there are services that can do the work for you.
If you don’t have the time or patience for that, there are services that can do the work for you. For example, the app Truebill connects to your bank accounts to help track and cancel your subscriptions for free.
Financial News Go