This post was written by Heather Yamada-Hosley, senior HR generalist and NerdsPayItForward co-president.
NerdsPayItForward (NPIF), NerdWallet’s employee-led social impact group, works each quarter with two NerdWallet leaders to select a cause we’re passionate about. Using this theme, NPIF chooses a charity to donate to, organizes a volunteer event and hosts related guest speakers at our headquarters.
For the last three months of 2018, our efforts focused on local youth. NPIF:
- Donated all proceeds from our in-office coffee bar to First Graduate, which helps guide students starting in elementary school to become the first in their family to graduate college.
- Volunteered at Prescott School, which included reading books to children from pre-K through fifth grade. NPIF then donated the books to the school for the children to enjoy on their own.
NerdWallet CEO Tim Chen and VP of Product Kevin Yuann joined other NerdWallet employees for the Prescott School read-in. NPIF chose books that would appeal across grade levels, from picture books to graphic novels and adventure books.
In addition to our youth-themed efforts this past quarter, NPIF:
- Hosted a presentation from By the Bay, an organization that provides nonpartisan information on local Bay Area ballots in an easy-to-digest format.
- Invited Jordan Sales, founder of 81 Cents, to our headquarters to share educational information about the gender wage gap.
- Organized a prenatal supplies drive for expecting mothers who are homeless.
- Sponsored The Family Giving Tree’s Holiday Wish Drive. Nerds purchased more than 100 gifts for local children, adults and seniors in need to help make their holiday season a little brighter.
Are you interested in learning more about our NPIF employee-led group? Email email@example.com. We’d love to hear from you!
Financial News Go