Want to see what we bought for this week’s $70 grocery budget? I’m currently challenging myself to stick with a $70 budget for our family of five. This includes almost all of our breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners + most household products (toiletries, laundry soap, etc.).
After three weeks of traveling, it felt good to be home all week this week and to be back into the swing of regular grocery shopping and menu planning again!
Here’s what we bought this week…
Kroger Shopping Trip #1:
- 5 cartons of Almond Breeze — $0.99 each when you buy 5 participating items
- 2 bouquets of flowers — marked down to $1 each (this was one of my favorite deals!)
- 2 bags of avocados — marked down to $0.99 each
- 2 bags of peppers — marked down to $0.99 each
- 2 bags of frozen peas — $1 each
- 1 bottle Eat Kansas City barbecue sauce — marked down to $0.69
- 1 bottle of Simple Truth Marinade — marked down to $0.69
- 2 bags of Kettle Chips — marked down to $0.69 each
- 1 bag of Kettle Chips — marked down to $0.79
- 1 bag of Tortilla Chips — marked down to $0.79
- Half & Half — $1.99
- 2 gallons milk — $2.79 each
- Veggie Chips — $0.99 when you buy 5 participating items
- Zevia — marked down to $1.25
- Kale Salad Mix — marked down to $2.99
- 2 Colgate toothpaste — $1.99 each when you buy 5 participating items, used $4/2 Digital Coupon = free
- 2 boxes Honey Bunches of Oats — $1.49 each when you buy 5 participating items
- Total with tax: $35.45
Kroger Shopping Trip #2
- 5 bottles of Simply Lemonade — $0.99 each with Friday-Saturday Deal
- 5 packages Ballpark Buns — $0.99 each with Friday-Saturday Deal
- Saltines — $1.29
- 4 bags of marked down produce — $0.99 each
- Bananas — $0.70
- Italian Meatballs/Brats — $1.99 each with Friday-Saturday deal
- Total with tax: $27.41
Sprouts Shopping Trip
- 6 ears of corn — 6 for $1
- Watermelon — $1.77
- Total with tax: $2.96
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that while we were out of town, our freezer power went out and we lost everything in our freezer. Gratefully, we had opened up our home a lot in the weeks prior and the freezer didn’t have that much in it because we’d eaten down a lot of the surplus (I had been thinking I really needed to replenish it!)
Also, we’re grateful that everything was stuff we’d gotten really inexpensively and that all of the packages stayed in tact so it was not a huge mess to clean up.
I thought it would be fun for you to watch me fill back up my freezer — while sticking with the $70 weekly budget. Here’s what it looked like after week 1. (The package of hot dogs and the buns/bread was in our fridge freezer — I moved it out here since that freezer was pretty stuffed.)
The chicken and ribs were from last week’s Friday-Saturday deals.
And here’s what it looks like as of this weekend. I’m excited because we not have 14 pounds of meat in there! (We usually eat 3-5 pounds of meat per week and I try to stock up on at least 4-7 pounds, so that we’re usually always putting a little more in the freezer than we’re eating.)
What We Ate On Our $70 Grocery Budget This Past Week
Note: When you see the meals below, please remember this: I buy ahead often. Which means that when I find a great deal on something I know we’ll use, I buy as much as I can afford in our budget to have on hand.
This means that you aren’t going to see all of the groceries my shopping trip that I used to make all of the meals we ate.
Please also remember that I’m putting this out there and it’s not a perfectly balanced menu. This is just really what we ate — and I hope that it encourages you to see the real-ness and lack of perfection here.
Our Menu Plan
- Fried Eggs, Cereal, Pancakes, Apple Muffins, Banana Muffins
- Leftovers, Salad, Mac & Cheese, Fruit
- Fruit, Popcorn, Cookies, Peppers
- Sunday — Pancakes, Scrambled Eggs
- Monday — Barbecued Chicken, Corn, Fruit
- Tuesday — Barbecued Chicken Pizza
- Wednesday — Mac & Cheese
- Thursday — Mac & Cheese, Marinated Chicken, Salad
- Friday — Ribs, Corn, Peas
- Saturday — Takeout from Chili’s
$70 Grocery Budget Totals
Total spent on groceries: $
Financial News Go